New School Curriculum: REPORT BY CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA
REPORT BY CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (CAN) REPRESENTATIVE/DELEGATES ON THE MEETING WITH THE NATIONAL EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL (NERDC) ON 15/04/16.
This is the summary report by CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (CAN ) delegates to the NATIONAL EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL (NERDC) and the VICE PRESIDENT at ASO ROCK VILLA on 15&17/04/16 respectively .
FACTS AND FINDINGS – NERDC
1. Curriculum for Religion and National Value is assuredly for the 3 Basics (Lower, Middle and Upper) of the BEC 9-year program, i.e., 1-3, 4-6, and 7-9. (Thus, there should be 3 Textbooks)
2. That the Textbooks for CRS and IRS are to be separated by Publishers as different books but they are written together in the Curriculum.
3. That the status of the Subject as Compulsory is sacrosanct and a pupil must offer either but not both.
4. That NO Publisher’s Textbook has been approved by NERDC yet. So ALL BOOKS in the market for now are FAKE and fictitious and should be checkmated immediately.
5. That the 5 subjects: Religious Studies (CRS/IRS), Civic Education, Social Studies and Security are combined under 1 umbrella in the Curriculum REMAINS sacrosanct.
6. It was acknowledged that the Curriculum on Religion and National Values needs to be reviewed as the Christians and Muslims are of the viewpoints that the New Curriculum is unacceptable.
7. That CAN could bring professionals to Review the Content of the said present Curriculum under assessment – (I volunteered to do the review with Prof. Charles Adisa and it was approved.)
8. That CAN could participate fully in the production and review of yet to be accepted /approved Textbooks – I also volunteered.
9. That they will endeavour to list out the finally approved books right inside the Curriculum and we can make recommendations.
10. The Executive Secretary approved the team as partners in progress from hence.
11. All participants we well pleased at the end of the discussions.
Now that all the cards are on the table, as a minister and a professional who had lectured and still lectures in a University of Education in the past thirty years, I wish to recommendation as follows:
1. Christian RK Curriculum must be reviewed with inputs from our old CRK Curriculum in the 3 BEC of the 9 years.
2. Islamic RK should be reviewed by editing off all grievously offensive phrases/frivolous expressions about Christianity in the 3 Basics Education Curriculum because the material is in the public domain and we Christians said nothing about Islam which existed 600 AD after the death of Christ in our curriculum .
3. All publishers of the FAKE Books should be written for discussions, that the dissemination of the Books must stop immediately. The Church should seek court injunction immediately to enforce this.
4. We need to work with such and some other publishers to peacefully resolve the issue if they so desire and to ensure that their reviewed book on CRS would be acceptable to us.
5. Correction to the Curriculum and the Implementation of the Text Books must conform with the Constitution, National Policy on Education, as well as the Cultural, Social and Religious Values of the Republic.
1. Separation of the two (2) Curriculum for the three (3) Primary Basics: If they refuse the separation in the Curriculum as in the text; just like Christian children, Muslim children would also have access to the Christian curriculum and this could be evangelical as light is not afraid of darkness.
2. CRS/IRS COMPULSORILY: Making CRS/IRS Compulsory Subjects so it could be manipulated in the North has its advantages too, in the South and after all, we should remember it was also compulsory in the Old Curriculum.
VISIT TO THE PRESIDENCY:
The visit to the Vice President at the Villa on 17/04/16 was fruitful as we gave him feedbacks on our visit to the NERDC and presented him with a copy of the Curriculum. He advised that timely intervention of the corrections is of vital importance as the Curriculum was dated 2012.
These are my personal professional opinion after praying and after all the meetings.
I hereby express my gratitude to CAN for affording me this rare opportunity to serve in our Lord’s Vineyard.
Our God reigns! Jesus is Lord!! Praise the Lord!!! Amen.
Amb. (Bishop Prof.) Mercy Funmi Adesanya-Davies