Enugu State Governor Lied on the Fulani Herdsmen Killings
Published: Thursday, 05 May 2016 16:19 –
Written by Onyema Uche –
The story Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu state told the public about the massacre was false with intent to hide the truth and deceive the public. I will try as much to give account of what transpired and why Ifeanyi should be held responsible for failing to stop or minimize the causalities of that attack. Let us not be easy and quick to be deceived.
- Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi lied when he stated that he did not call the president, Muhammadu Buhari. In fact he called the president on two different occasions. The first time he called the president was when he heard that the attackers had arrived their vicinity. In a desperate effort to quell the planned attack he immediately placed a call to the president. His call was answered but he was put on hold for 45 minutes.
- The governor was notified that the herdsmen had arrived and were camped at the hilltop in Uzo-Uwani. This information was conveyed to the governor by a retired Col.(name withheld).
- The herdsmen men were in their vicinity for 8 days before the attack.
- There was negotiation between the governor’s team and the terrorists. The facilitator of that negotiation is the sarkin Hausa in Enugu. The governor was so naïve not to discover that the Sarkin Hausa was a double agent.
- It was after the governor found out that the negotiation was not going his way that he convened his security meeting which included but not limited to the SSG, commissioner of police Enugu state, the army, the officers of civil defense, the state attorney and other dignitaries in the state.
- On the 7th day it was obvious that no entreaties or persuasion could make the herdsmen not to strike that the governor now placed a call to the GOC of 82 Division of Nigeria army in Enugu. The Gen. asked him to report to the president and get his order.
- Frustrated by this response the governor again called the Inspector general of police to order his men to protect the Uzo-Uwani people from attack. The IGP also referred to the matter to the president.
- Upon information that the army stationed at Enugu were coordinating with the attackers, the governor then placed a call to COAS, Gen. Burutai for help to stop the attack. The Gen told Ifeanyi that his order comes from the president only.
- Frustrated the governor made the last call to the president. This time his call was answered but qwas again placed on hold for 1hr 45 minutes. Frustrated the governor hung up and then called the Sarkin Hausa in Enugu.
- The sarkin Hausa was then sent to meet with the herdsmen. This time it was about 7pm of the 7th day. Sarkin Hausa sent message to the governor that the herdsmen have agree not to strike. Satisfied with a hive of relief the governor went to sleep.
- Meanwhile the community leaders of Uzo Uwani were aware of the presence of the attackers 8 days prior to the attack.
- They were aware of the negotiations. In spite of their knowledge of the presence of the enemies they did nothing to protect themselves.
Now with this information how can we excuse the governor on the basis of fake tears and pretended repentance? Questions arise as to why the governor did not go public as soon as he heard of the presence of the herdsmen? Why didn’t he empower to youths to prepare to defend their land? Why didn’t he tell the public the efforts he had made but met with no response from all quarters? How could he accept to dialogue or negotiate with criminals and terrorist who invaded his land?
Now the police commissioner has been made the victim of that sorry massacre why? It is because the governor is hell scared to mention the role of the presidency and the involvement of the army. In fact it was the 82 division of Nigerian army in Enugu that coordinated the attack. The attackers arrival was seen by many. Their Hilux truck was marked and they moved free in the community asking questions about individuals and routes. They village knew they were strangers and the leaders knew their mission. Why make the police commissioner escape goat?
Fact is if the police commissioner, Mr Ekechukwu Nwaido is complacent in a criminal way, why not arrest him and put him on trial? If he were guilty as we were told why not fire him from police force? Even as I write police is still insisting that Mr. Ekechukwu is still in service with the force.
How about the Sarkin Hausa in Enugu who has contacted him to get what he knew? Who is protecting him? If the IGP, the GOC, the CAOS all refused to act, why expect a mere police commissioner to act? Can’t you see how ridiculous the whole story of Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi is?
I am insisting that the people of Enugu and the entire Igbo people domicile in Enugu to march to Enugu government house and demand for the resignation of Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi. He failed woefully in his primary responsibility as a governor to protect the lives of his people. The fact that he has secretly negotiated a grazing route for the Fulanis is further evidence that he was boxed to a corner by his selfishness.
We the electorate must make it a condition for electing future governors only those who oppose the grazing route rubbish. If you want our votes in the future you must identify with us on this. No time for playing with kids glove.