Again, Fire Guts Kano Popular GSM Market
The popular Farm Centre GSM market in Kano metropolis has again been gutted down by fire.
The incident, which occurred late hours of Friday, left about 44 shops destroyed. An eyewitness and victim of a burnt shop within the area told journalists in Kano that the incident happened around 5:30pm of Friday when most of the traders had closed for business.
According to the witness, the fire which destroyed phones and other valuables worth millions of Naira was said to have been caused by a spark from a converter supplying power to some of the shops.
The source said though no life was lost; however, no fewer than 44 shops were destroyed by the inferno. When contacted, the Director of the state Fire Service, Alhaji Mustapha Rulwan, confirmed the incident, saying a total of 44 wooden shops were razed by the inferno.
“We received distress call around 5: 20pm and we immediately mobilised our personnel to the area. We were able to put out the fire within 45 minutes,” he said, adding that, “it was an inverter that was being used by some of the traders that caused the inferno, as most of the affected shops were made of wood and zinc,” he added.
Our correspondent reliably gathered that this would be the second time the market was gutted by fire within the last eight months.